Data Storage trends and predictions for 2017
If there is one thing that is certain, is that nothing is certain.’ As technology is transitioning its way in the new world, there has been tremendous improvements in making data storage much cheaper, safer and fail proof. But as we know nothing is perfect, thus with time new loopholes in data managing software have been found over the years. In 2016, we have witnessed the rise of some prominent data recovery labs, new hardware, ransomware, etc.
Now, we open the tarot cards and on the basis of the trends in 2016 and early 2017, we shall predict what shall continue and what innovations may land in the market.
- Rise of the Hybrids: We have seen the ascent of the flash technology, by which you can not only store more data, but can recall the data with greater efficiency. As the SSD technology gets smaller and more efficient, the costlier they become. That is the reason that hybrid technology has been developed, where the flash technology is combined with the traditional HDD technology. It helps the organization to use power saving devices that are faster and cheaper.
- The Artificial Thinkers: Machines have been developed with decision making capabilities and these intelligent systems could be the difference between an efficient and a failed enterprise. As we see the data structure is becoming much more complex and encrypted. These intelligent machines would not only be able to handle this virtual data but will also handle the complex corporate network.
However in 2017, the adoption of intelligent machines would not be extremely steep as most of the IT professionals are not trained nor experienced in tackling with the challenges with these machines.
- Energy Hungry: The data centers generally consume a lot of electricity, which not only increases the cost for the data companies but also have a major share in overall power consumption by the industries. With a slight improvement in energy efficiency of the systems a lot of power can be saved as the energy consumption is constant. Better and efficient cooling systems have been developed to keep the energy consumption in check which will be adopted in 2017.
- Making it easy: It has been observed that complex and professional data systems have been given easy controls for better understanding and efficient work. The user interface has become much friendly which can easily be controlled by even by a novice. Although this can be a great breakthrough and can help in saving time and money on human resources but comes with its own disadvantages.
Easier interface has resulted in these companies employing people who do not know the in and out of these systems. Hence if a complex problem arises, it becomes difficult to tackle that. This could be the result of modern problems like data loss.
- Disaster recovery: With multiple threats to data security increasing, it becomes important to take the help of data archiving and backups to attain the data which might be hacked or corrupted. These disaster recovery solutions are set to collaborate with multiple back-up solutions, to prevent such problems. Data protection has become imperative in this age where malicious software are not the only threat, but many accidents also results in permanent data losses.
- 2017, attacked by Ransomwares: Ransomware have seen a great rise in 2016 and early 2017. These special kind of viruses pose a great risk of hacking the data. There has been no real preventive measure which has effectively tackled this threat till now. These viruses can attack your computer and other devices like wearable.
So what should you do when struck by a ransomware? Should you just give the money to the people who threaten you? Well obviously not. You should turn to a professional data recovery company which can solve your problem and retrieve your data. Giving in to the demands of the hackers would be risky as they might not give you the data after receiving the money, and may use this money for more illegal activities.
- Safer is better: Gone are the days when only governmental or legal organizations encrypted their data. Now each and every organization is encrypting its key and sensitive information. This makes protection of data much simpler. In future, you might see diversified organizations going for data encryption.
- Cloud storage: Many organizations feel that cloud data storage could be the solution to many of the problems like data theft and data loss. Although this technology is not new, but still many forms of data cannot be sent to cloud. These challenges can be faced by hybrid cloud storage which increases the compatibility of storage technologies.
It is said that use of hybrid cloud storage may increase two-fold in 2017.
- Hyper-converged storage environments: Who would not like to save money and efforts in storing data with increased security and scalability? Hyper-converged storage in simple words are environment containing resources which stores data with the help of a software and have the versatility of running on the manufacturer’s hardware. The data is generally integrated into the unit, which makes getting access to it pretty difficult.
Thus it can be concluded that the data storage trends will continue to bring change in the previous technologies and many software to counter the current problems might also be introduced for secure and cheaper storage of data.