Tips to Secure Your Devices and Networks
Be it your house or office a protected device and network is very crucial if you want to keep your data safe and at the same time want to access the internet securely.
Now, many of you might be wondering about how to keep the best safety level? So, to help you out, we are here with this article. Read on to know what are the tips to secure devices and networks.
- Practice Encrypting your data – If you think encrypting data can only be done by experts, then let me tell you, it is not so. Modern tools have made it possible for anyone to encrypt important emails and other information. Encryption prevents intruders from accessing the confidential data that you are sending through a network. If you are into a business and send a lot of emails having data about your business then make a habit of encrypting it.
- Keep a backup of your data – One of the most important things on which people become lethargic is taking backups. But it is recommended to take the backup regularly so that you have a copy of data if in case your device is lost or stolen. And, if by chance, at the time of failure, you don’t have a backup of important files, then prefer hiring a data recovery company.
- Anti-Malware protection – Malware includes viruses, Trojan horses, spyware, etc. and can damage your system without your permission. It can be present on the website you access or in the files that you download. So, to keep your computer safe, periodically run a good anti-virus program and avoid clicking on suspicious links.
- Keep your Operating System Updated – If your OS is not updated, then be cautious, your system can be at risk. OS updates contain important security patches that can protect your system from threats. So, never keep updates in your pending tasks. Automate your software updates to ensure that your system is managed by the latest version of the Operating System.
- Turn off your computer when not in use – It is one of the valuable tips. Once you finished your work, turn off your computer or laptop. Leaving your system on and connected with the internet can be an open call for attackers/scammers. You never know, if there is a hidden enemy in your office. They can install files containing malware on your system and can commit cyber-crimes.
- Make use of a firewall – Firewall helps in blocking viruses, dangerous programs, viruses, and spyware before they enter your system. So, install a firewall in your system right now if you don’t have it. Remember, firewalls built into network routers, provide the best level of security.
- Don’t save passwords on your laptop or mobile phone – Will you ever leave your car with the keys in it? Never! Saving your passwords on your device is also a similar mistake that you should avoid. It can lead to chaos if your device is stolen or goes in the wrong hands.
- Overwrite the deleted files – The information you deleted is not deleted permanently until and unless you overwrite it. Otherwise, the data can be recovered by anyone (say criminal) in your absence and can be used against you. Also, nowadays, tools are available that can overwrite your old data. Moreover, new tools and software are developed by keeping cyber threats in mind. So, make use of the latest tools to keep your data safe.